2012

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Latest dolls

I thought these little walkers were charming in their harlequin dresses. They were $1.50 at a yard sale. I shouldn't have washed the taffeta dresses but they were quite dirty.

A simple Amish doll which was a quarter at a flea market. I'm still waiting for an Amish family I purchased weeks ago on ebay. Either the seller forgot or they're coming by horse and buggy!

A little New Bright doll which was a dollar at a yard sale. I think she might be "Swiss".

Madame Alexander's 12" Heidi which I purchased for $2 at a yard sale.

This pirate Kewpie was another of the Kewpies given at the doll convention at Mt. Pleasant. This year at Old Threshers, extra dolls were sold below price and I bought this one. Wish I had know they were there earlier.

This is an ebay lesson. I was so excited to win this doll for about $6 plus postage. She appeared to be a straight leg walker. The photo of her hip joint I thought was for the purpose of proving her walking mechanism. She does have the same mechanism inside as my other straight leg walker (these date from 1954-56) but her legs were wrong for her. They stuck out sideways and the only way I could solve the problem was to loosen the elastic enough to let the legs hang. The shoes are just like ones in a 1956 photo in a Madame Alexander book and the legs are Madame Alexander I'm sure. The skin tones of the legs match the body. Quite a puzzle. The costume she was in is "Spanish". The shawl is unlike those I have seen on most Spanish outfits. I have only once seen another like it and it was on a doll said to be from the early 60's. Maybe someday I'll get some other legs but I don't know if they should be bent knee or straight. Her hair is triple stitched, characteristic of earlier dolls.....







My old Dolly, with a body I made for her, is in a high chair I purchased at an auction. I had to give the princely sum of $7 for this. Her bonnet was a yard sale find for $1.

No comments: