2012

Friday, June 1, 2012

May Doll News

I've acquired a few new dolls and other fun collectibles at auctions, flea markets, and yard sales. So, here we go:
At a local thrift shop I bought this unmarked dime store doll in an Eskimo costume that I thought was cute. The Chinese doll is all tightly stuffed cloth, even the separate fingers. It has a small ribbon shaped sticker that says Award, Made in Taiwan, Republic of China. I got her at a yard sale along with the Navajo doll with the handwoven shawl. I spent $3! The light weight plastic doll (possibly celluloid?) in the ethnic costume was purchased at a flea market.
The Nancy Ann Story Book doll at far left was so dirty that I felt she was a bad buy at $3 but I wanted to try and rescue her. Her face was so dirty that I rubbed it gently with a Magic Eraser. I have since sadly discovered how easy it is to wipe off the eyebrows and eyelashes on these dolls, even if you think you're not rubbing hard. I'm not sure if she had eyebrows to begin with she was so dirty. I thought that her dress was hopelessly faded. However, the fabric is irridescent taffeta, woven with raspberry and gold and it changes color more dramatically than any such I've seen. Lovely! It did have one round hole which is covered by a fold of the dress. Soooo worth the price. Next is a Deluxe Reading doll. Is this a little sister to Penny Brite? Her face is pale. These were purchased at a yard sale at an old antique shop. The Duchess brand Shamrock doll was bought at a thrift shop. She is in better shape than any other I've seen. The Precious Moments is from a yard sale.
A cousin purchased this doll for me at a yard sale. She was quite dirty and was having a nightmare hair day. Now she's looking really cute. I'm still trying to find info on these dolls. I see them sometimes on ebay but can't find out any dates for them.
I couldn't pass up this baby buggy with the Coronet hubcaps and crown logo. I got a great buy at a flea market.

1 comment:

Tricks and Manners said...

Hi Marian! I love your blog! It's just the kind of thing I love to read about and to do myself, and the research you've done is very interesting and helpful. I might be able to help identify two of your mystery dolls. The Deluxe Reading one looks like a "Suzy Cute" to me. There's a commercial for her on youtube (starring Louis Armstrong!)--see what you think. I don't know the maker of the porcelain doll your cousin gave you, but she was widely marketed in women's magazines in the 80s and maybe early 90s. They'd have full page ads for her; should be easy to spot, as the dress did not vary that I know of. I hope you'll come and visit me on my blog too-- www.tricksandmanners.blogspot.com