2012

Thursday, July 5, 2012

Ginny in his pocket

My husband came home from work the day before Father's Day and guess what he had stuck in his shirt pocket?? An incredible little '55-'56 Ginny straight leg walker doll! Of course, now I wish I'd grabbed the camera before I shrieked and grabbed the doll. I have tried for a couple of years to win one on ebay at a price I consider reasonable (cheap) and this certainly was that at $2. She didn't look like this at the time, and again what was I thinking in not getting a "before" photo. The hair was messy and part of the bang was stiff with glue. There was some dried glue at the sides of the face, also. Now, she's clean and her hair is mostly in the original style (a bit fuzzy in spots) and she's wearing a Bon-Bon style outfit I made from some vintage nylon dotted swiss which I found at a yard sale. (I got a lot of this fabric in pink, aqua, white, peach, and yellow, in dotted or floral flocked.) And I want you to notice that I tatted lace trim for the sleeves and neckline. I'm proud of that!!!!!!! I hadn't tatted in years!!
The yard sale Ginny was wearing a cute little pink floral print outfit with a gold tie at the neck so I was beside myself about that. When looking at the tag, however, I discovered that it was a Nancy Ann Storybook outfit. I have since found it, I think, in a black and white photo in the Encyclopedia of Nancy Ann Storybook Dolls on page 287 in a black and white photo of a 1957 ad; and on page 343 Miss Nancy Ann and Little Miss Nancy Ann wear this print in a dress with a green tie. There are pink polka dot panties with the dress which may or may not be original to the dress. So, this is now being worn by a Muffie whose hair didn't seem to fit with any I'd seen until yesterday. I saw one with the identical color of mid length wavy hair, listed as having been owned by a prominent UFDC member, and wearing a pink polka dot cotton dress with puffed sleeves and ruffled trim. So, I'll do a dress for mine now in pink polka dot nylon with a pale pink under slip. I must reveal that this Muffie came to me as a head and torso. She's using another dolls arms and Madame Alexander bent knee legs for now. I got these in an ebay auction thinking they'd come in handy and they all are in use, sadly. The vinyl head Muffie to the left is in another dress from the yard sale dotted swiss fabric. I recently bought her shoes at an antique shop for $1.25. And, again, the Muffie on the right is a strung doll from about '53 and may have been meant as a boy. I know I need to cover the wood in this cabinet. It's not good for the dolls to sit on it for sure.
Here's my articulated Madame Alexander Wendy in a fitting and in her new dress from the yard sale flocked fabric.

No comments: